Mission Statement

To foster an increased awareness of the local and global interconnections associated with food production and consumption by directly linking the Mount Holyoke College Community to the Garden through academics, the campus dining experience, and student volunteer work. The Mount Holyoke Student Garden will also build connections and share knowledge with the agricultural community of the Pioneer Valley, thereby strengthening Mount Holyoke's relationship to the local environment.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hello fellow gardeners! This week I surprised myself with my carpentry skills by building a COLD FRAME! After much research and an unnecessarily long quest for wood, my buddy Clinton and I gathered the materials up at the garden and went to work.

Home Depot had a large selection of lumber, and although there were many fancier varieties I could have chosen from, I went with good ol’ plywood. Mainly because it’s the easiest to cut. They used a scary, complicated machine to cut the sheet of plywood into the dimensions of one of our windowpanes. The machine couldn’t slice diagonally, however, so we had to do that ourselves:

After everything was cut, we nailed the four boards together:

The backboard is twice the height of the front board, so that the cold frame is slanted towards the sun. This maximizes heat, especially when the frame is facing south. That’s why we had to cut the side pieces diagonally, to create the slant. The base of the cold frame turns out looking like this:

And with the windowpane placed on top of the plywood base, you have a cold frame to keep your veggies warm long into the first frosty months of fall!

Besides the newest edition to the garden, there was a lot of growin’ goin’ on this week:

Watermelon babies!

Tomato babies!

Squash babies!

The eggplant is finally catching up as well:

And the squash, of course, is as big as ever:

I also (finally) harvested the rest of the kale for dining services, both Red Russian as well as all of the winterbor. It grows like crazy!

The beans are sprouting tendrils, so I spent a lot of time trying to wrap them around the strings on the A-frames so that they could keep climbing. A lot of them seem to have the idea that they are supposed to grow outwards instead of up; I attempted to correct this:

The rest of the week was full of watering, weeding, filming the progress in the garden (you’ll see more of that later J), and another great day at the Farmers Market.

Thanks for reading! We’ll have plenty more for next week!

Enjoy the sunshine,

Ingrid

No comments: